Monday, December 20, 2004

It Was Simple, But Not Easy

On a rainy Sunday afternoon, I walked in the Immanual Christian Reformed Church with my dog-eared copy of Schirmer's Handel's "Messiah" Oratorio. I eagerly anticipated a sing-a-long with other aficionados of this beloved masterpiece. After a few Christmas of singing beside the Otto Klemperer's Handel:Messiah recording, I thought it was time to sing in a live setting. I should be able to hold my own among the lay public. Simple enough. I would have my 15 minutes of fame.

With the pleasantries dispensed, I was directed to the tenor section toward the front of the church. Immediately I knew something had gone amiss on the stage. Excepting the four chairs for the soloists set facing the audience, no standing platforms for the choir were erected behind the chairs. Then it hit me. We, the ones with music in hand up front, were the choir. Oops.

The local oratorio society has had a long history of inviting the public to Handel's Messiah Sing-A-Long. Each Christmas season its invitation beckoned my spirit and set my soul adrift. By thought I embraced every invitation. On this one Sunday, I heeded the call. With wings of mind I sallied forth. I had a rendezvous with a "must sing." Tripping the light fantastic I went.

A small taste of arts had led to over confidence in one's talent. Once the Overture began, the die was cast. From the opening tenor recitative "Comfort Ye My People" to the final chorus "Worthy is the Lamb That Was Slain!", all went by in a blur. When the concert concluded, I left the church drenched in perspiration.

It was not an easy excercise for me to sing "The Messiah." I was blessed nonetheless. Because worthy is He.

In song and praise, on that very special day I beheld "the Lamb of God who came to take away the sin of the world" (John 1:29)

0 comments: