Monday, December 13, 2004

The 66_2/3 % Solution

I finally got my hand on the second of three HP-iPAQ 5500 in existence within our department. The other user was very gracious when she lent it to me this afteroon. I needed a second wireless iPAQ to isolate where my home based WLAN is having the problem.

The Problem Restated: My iPAQ has abruptly stopped its wireless access feature to the Internet, nothwithstanding the access point/router is recognized and connected. The router works fine with two other desktop computers. To add it twist to this problem, the iPAQ connects fine to the Internet when an outside access point was used.

The Test: Determine if the failure of my iPAQ to connect to the home based WLAN internet was caused by a corrupted file. This hypothetical file or files could reside in either the Linksys router or inside the iPAQ itself. A second iPAQ with no known WLAN faults would be the candidate to determine which of the two stated suspects is to blame.

My hope to do this test was dashed this evening. The borrowed iPAQ after receving a full recharge, failed to turn on. The on-off button did nothing. So much for the 66.66% solution.

I might resort to do a hard reset on the iPAQ back to the factory defaults. The reset should restore the PDA back to its out-of-the-box condition. This means I should be able to the test as stated. I was hoping I didn't have to come to this step.

I have not decided if a total recall is to be performed on the "faulty" iPAQ.

0 comments: