Sunday, April 30, 2006

To An Eleanor Rigby

I posted this follow-up comment yesterday to the person who becomes an 'Eleanor Rigby' after a failed relationship. These verses suggest she needs to stand back and see what's happened and move on with her life.


When love was new, time was short
Lovers roamed through the heather on the hill
The morrows held promises and prospects
Softly they glowed like the morning sunrise

Parce que c'était lui, parce que c'était moi*
She said
It always has been and will always be

When love is short, forgetting is long
Withered petals locked inside the tearful heart
The morrows are empty yesterdays
Morning dews blink of December but never May

Parce que c'était lui, parce que c'était moi*
She says
It always has been and will always be

*Because it was him, because it was me

3 comments:

史路比 said...

was it written by you? i like the phrases "When love was new, time was short" and "When love is short, forgetting is long"...
very true.

L'envoi said...

Since this female blogger lamented her loss love in prose forms, I thought I'd try to do the same with my comments. Once in a while though, I even surprised myself that I could write marginally acceptable proses. I am keeping my day job, anyhow.

The French phrase I borrowed from the French Renaissance philosopher, Montaigne. The English translation was not grammatically correct. It should have been "Because it was he, because it was I." A less refined translation with "him" and "me", as employed in my comments, was an attempt to convey the deeper, intimate, and complex emotions of being in and out of a love relationship

史路比 said...

you did it so well! :)