Thursday, August 25, 2005

Media Player Plug-ins for Firefox

If you are a satisfied IE user, this post may not be for you. But if you want to have the cake (IE), and eat it too (Firefox), then proceed.

When I first installed Firefox 1.0, I had a frustrating time getting the browser to play embedded sound files. My assumption was, if the Windows Media Player could play in the IE browser, why not Firefox. But it didn't.

I could be mistaken. Back then in the days of Firefox 1.0, help files or FAQ for Windows Media Player were not available. I made a fateful decision then to use another player which could play music in both IE and Firefox browsers. The decision to go with QuickTime Alternative was the right one to this day.

The free QuickTime Alternative for Firefox worked flawlessly. The real surprise was when I test played MP3 files on both Firefox (QT Alternative) and IE (Windows Media Player), the QT Alternative plug-in rendered a richer and fuller sound with the former browser.

In the Firefox QT Alternative Plug-in Setting -> MIME Setting, I chose the audio MP3 and MIDI formats only. I also enabled the plug-in to play in the IE as well. Outside of web browsing, I use the free WinAmp as my principal audio player.

Below are two Firefox knowledge base links on plug-ins. The contents of each might be too technical for some users. If one doesn't want to bother with all these plug-in mumble jumbles for Firefox, do as I did, go download and install the QT Alternative.


Firefox Knowledge Base Links:

Plug-in Testing Before and After New Addition or Modification

Windows Media Player Plug-ins

3 comments:

Carol said...

My husband said that about a week ago, we started having a problem with Quick time.
I tried downloading the alternative, but it wouldn't download properly. Since I am not that computer knowledgeable, I will have to leave it for now.
Thanks for the info.

L'envoi said...

It is not uncommon to have a media player or two to have behaved erratically. It happened to me many times.

My guess is you have a factory installed version of the QuickTime player. Rather or not it came pre-installed with the computer, you can update your QuickTime (QT).

Whenever you or Mr. Carol can get around to it, download the latest free QT update. Then go the Control Panel and use the Add/Remove Program to uninstall the faulty QT. Afterwad, install the new version.

史路比 said...

ohh... let me try it later..