Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Brush Up on Your Shakespeare

One of Cole Porter's musicals is "Kiss Me Kate (1953)." This Howard Keel and Kathryn Grayson vehicle is based on Shakespeare's "Taming of the Shrew." A delightful song in the musical is "Brush Up Your Shakespeare (and they all kow-tow)." Since I am on a trivia state of mind lately, I thought I'd do a Shakespearean quiz with the aid of a James Christensen's artwork.


James Christensen's Shakespearean Fantasy

Below is an enlarged picture of the Shakespearean Fantasy divided into three frames.
Frame #1 (top) has five (5) plays.
Frame #2 (middle) has six (6) plays.
Frame #3 (bottom) has seven (7) plays.

Name the plays.





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey this is what I'm trying to look up!

I found 1) A midsummer's night dream (tree top)2)Julius Cesar (guy in toga with knife 3) Much Ado About Nothing (masked woman is Hero and her Claudio 4) Othello (black man and dead woman) 5) Taming of the Shrew (woman in blue dress) 6)Romeo and Juliet (woman with roses) I think one with the old man and the jester is 7)Kind Lear 8) man with skull is Hamlet 9) witches is Macbeth

Can you tell me the rest? Thanks!

L'envoi said...

1. Midsummer-Night's Dream, A
2. King Richard III
3. Merry Wives of Widsor, The
4. Winter's Tale, The
5. Antony and Cleopatra
6. Much Ado About Nothing
7. Julius Caesar
8. Othello
9. Taming of the Shrew, The
10. Romeo and Juliet
11. Merchant of Venice, The
12. King Lear
13. King John
14. Macbeth*(see below)
15. Hamlet
16. Timon of Athens
17. Tempest, The

There were 17 scenes depicted in the Shakespearean Fantasy.

*The owl personified Macbeth, as depicted in the scene with the three witches and the cauldron. However, the owl being somewhat spatially drawn farther away from the three witches, it could be argued or construted as a clue for another play. There were other Shakespearean plays not in the Fantasy which owls were cited. For the bonous point-the 18th play-where owls were mentioned, any of the following plays provided is acceptable:

*Trolus and Cressida
*Venus and Adonis
*Henry VI, Part II
*Henry VI, Part III

Anonymous said...

sweet thanks!

After I posted this I then went through and tried to figure out the rest - I thought I got all but one (the owl)
But I was wrong on King Richard III - I just thought it was from King Henry V and 13. King John (instead I thought the jester was from Twelfth Night)

Thank you!