Sunday, August 28, 2005

The Church Picnic

As of this writing at 2147 hours PDT, the outside temperture is 80°F/27°C. It is much cooler than this afternoon when we had our annual church picnic at Davis Park. The temperture then hovered near or above 98°F/36°C. This was a good old hot August summer picnic. Loved it.

I had an opportunity to rub elbows with two pastors. Retired Pastor "Smokey" sauntered over to say hello and remarked he was mystified as to why I wasn't getting his email. My not able to receive his email happened after two correspondence. It seemed his mailing program or whatever dropped me from the group mailing list. Then we talked about intellegent design, ecology, big band music, the Book of Job. Finally, toward the end of our short but constructive conversation, I shared with him my seeing about God's plan in motion from a docu-drama last night on the telly.

I spent an uncommon 4 hours watching the first showing of The Life of Young John Paul on the Hallmark Channel. Smokey would like to see it when it is shown again.

Then I went over to see pastoral-candiate Craig about his morning sermon on Hebrew 10:24-25, and his ordination exams two days ago. Once in awhile, I would throw a curve ball at Craig. This time I ribbed him about his 15-hour written exams.

I said, if I were on the exam panel, I would have him write about "kindess" and "love" relative to Hebrews, 1 John and so forth. We had a lively 15 minutes dialog on "The Good Samaritan", C.S. Lewis' "The Four Loves", Mother Teresa, and civic services.

The picnic last about three hours from 1200 hours to 1600 hours. Those attended learned more about other members of the body and strode closer to commUNITY.

0 comments: