Sunday, November 28, 2004

SA Red Kettle Fund Drive. Part II - Alvin

The Raley's Supermarket (not the one where I blogged about the VFW Buddy Poppies) at the Century Plaza is practically situated next to Gottchalks . In front of the market's main entrance, there was an elderly black man ringing the bells for the red kettle Christmas fund drive. So, it was a surprise for us to see two Salvation Army red kettles only steps away from each other. Since our appointed assignment was at Gottchalks, that's where we went. But we were still curious with whom or what organization this fellow associated.

After driving Martha home I came back to Gottchalks. I wanted to find out who that bell ringer was. Besides, we needed some cleaning sponges. I took a bulging coin purse with me and went to Raley's.

I couldn't find the utility sponges (translation: this guy didn't know where to look) so I decided I would have better luck with this other bell ringer person. I emptied several dollars of changes into the kettle while chatted with the man. He called himself Alvin.

Alvin worked alone from 9 to 6. He came from Lodi (45+miles north of Modesto). He earned $6.75 an hour.

I went back to Irene with the good news and the bad news. The good news was I found out Alvin was a seasonal worker hired by Salvation Army to do the fund drive. The bad news was I couldn't find the type of kitchen sponges Irene wanted.

I beckoned Irene to go look for the sponges. This was the time a woman got to to do a woman got to do. To buffer my embrassment at the failed task , I thought it would be nice if she could say hello to Alvin.

After our shift was over, we went to Raley's for the sponges. I handed Alvin enough money for a dinner that evening. He was surprised. He thanked and then hugged me.

Alvin and us exchanged the "C" word in our goodbyes. Yes, Christmas is the reason for the season - always.

0 comments: