Saturday, November 20, 2004

Log the Walk

This blog is written on the iPAQ 5500 and sent to my weblog site using a WLAN connection.

I have a pedometer that can be called a classic, if the same age criterion accorded to a 20-year-old Honda is applied.

I bought this plastic molded instrument back in the days when "green stamps" redemption stores were in vogue. One such store in my neighborhood is now doing Sherwin-Williams home decors.

This unprentious pre-digital era counter is a simple two-control operation. Unlike today's consumer electronics, there are no modes nor settings in this meter. It has one lever on the side to set the stride length in inches. On top, there is a reset button for a four-cylinder display (000.0) of miles walked.

This thing does what it designed to do. But I have reset it accidentally in too many times than I care to count. As they say, all were user induced errors. After taking it with us on this past summer vacation to the American Rockies, the countdown for a replacement began.

Today, I have added a digital pedometer to a list of growing battery-dependent home and personal "appliances." The thought of buying Duracell stocks is becoming more attractive each step of the way.

0 comments: