Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Beneath the Southern Cross

Some of songs from the War Years (i.e. World War II) were beautifully written both in score and lyrics. Many of the songs were songs of longing. Longing for the loved ones fighting a war somewhere, or keeping the vigil at the home front. Harry James' Sleeping Lagoon, for example, was one such song.

Today is Richard Rodgers 103rd birthday (b. 28 June, 1902). Our parents and grandparents grew up with his music. They all knew "Blue Moon" (Rodgers & Hart). It was written in the 1930s. We are still singing this song today. And of course, some of our parents taught us "Do-Re-Me" from Rodgers and Hammerstein's "The Sound of Music" (1965).

In 1951, Rodgers wrote the scores to an NBC World War II wartime documentary Victory at Sea. Among the compositions were the most beautiful and haunting piece, Beneath the Southern Cross. It was such a big hit,two years later, when he and Hammerstein collaborated in the musical "Me and Juliet" (1953), Rodgers interpolated this very same score as the show's theme song. Perry Como, the Singing Barber, recorded this number one hit song the same year, "No Other Love (Have I)."

If you haven gotten this far by reading the post, you could be interested to find out what Beneath the Southern Cross sounds like. If so, have a listen and tell me what you think. I trust you know where in the blog to find this music. If not, leave me a comment, I will point you the way. :)

2 comments:

Carol said...

It is beautiful, thanks for sharing your selections. There is so much to
enjoy in this world.
Have a great holiday. Hope you finish your novel. I have War and Peace on my bookshelf. Someday. I read Anna Karenina and loved it. I learned so much from his characters.

L'envoi said...

Thanks for coming by! And I am glad you liked Rodger's "Beneath the Southern Cross."

It seems like you are a classic book reader too!

I have so many e-books opened in my PDA, it puts me in a paralysis mode. Haha. My priority is still trying to finish reading EM Forster's "A Room With A View." After that, I really need to switch back to a "real" book for a change.

I'd like to read Penman's historical novel of Richard III in her "The Sunne in Spendour."