Thursday, June 02, 2005

Brouhaha over New Mr. Coffee

I had a Mr. Coffee that served me my 4-cup of joe faithfully each day for many years. It had a clock to which I set the night before. Each morning at 5:50 AM my hot coffee awaited me. For the last year or so, it was showing signs of incontinence. The mountain spring water with which I make the coffee would steam out from the seams of the housing. Alas, the escaped liquid denied the full pleasure of my having a "good to the last drop" colombian supremo enjoyment.

For some reason, Mr. Coffee stopped making the programmable 4-cup brewer since I got mine many moons ago. It wasn't until two weeks ago I espied the new DRX 5 with a green digital clock at the Target Store. My Holy Grail cost $20.00 (USD).

And yet, this new Mr. Coffee irks me. I have used many thingamajigs and hi-tech instruments that are equipped with time keeping devices. I have not once encountered a digital clock that couldn't keep relatively accurate time, until this Mr. Coffee DRX 5. Each day I click the minute-button forward 4 minutes just to have the DRX 5 clock to stay more or less accurate for another 24-hours.

The root of the problem lies not with Mr. Coffee, of course, but with the manufacturer. So today I wrote to the company regarding the product defect.

This is a good object lesson to remind us (myself) of not looking for a faulty Mr. Coffee in others or at the institutions. More often than not, the hubbub resides in our own hearts.

Search me, O God, and know my heart;
Try me and know my anxious thoughts;
And see if there be any hurtful way in me,
And lead me in the everlasting way.
-- (Psalm 139:23-24 NASB)

3 comments:

Carol said...

Listening to your selection of St. Louis Blues. Nice.

Regarding your Mr. Coffee: yes,if we don't claim responsibility for our responses then we are in constant battle with things beyond our control.
Thanks for the reminder!

L'envoi said...

H:

Yes. I remember seeing the Gevalia commercial on TV a while back. You know you coffee, that is for sure.

Before our local coffee store went somewhere, I regulary spent $6.50+ for 8 oz. of its own roasted Colombian Supremo. And each purchase was consumned very quickly.

Now I just buy the national brands, but they have to be C. Supremo. After all, who but Juan Valdez can grow the said beans?

L'envoi said...

Carol,

Thanks for dropping by.

L'v