Wednesday, October 09, 2013

I Am All Thumbs with the New iPhone 5S Touch-ID

My brand new iPhone 5S was delivered on the afternoon of Monday, 7 October. By the same evening the iPhone 5 is up and running, and with all of the iPhone 4S apps successfully migrated. The iOS 7 iPhone 4S is now the iPod Touch 4S Touch. With its SIM card and iTunes services intact, I am well pleased. I also configured the former iPhone 4S to have the capability to make free VoIP calls in the United States and Canada using my Google Voice number via WI-FI.

Setting up the iPhone 5S Touch ID has been a revelation. I have had both of my thumbs bio-scanned on the unit's Home button/Touch ID sensor. Given I hold and operate my iPhone or other wireless/cordless devices mostly with my left hand, it didn't take long to master the Touch ID to unlock the iPhone. My right thumb, however, was all thumbs. It took longer to learn the positioning of the thumb correctly, and applying the right (pun) pressure on the sensor for 'Open Sesame' to work.

To ensure the iPhone 5s gets unlock at no more than two Touch-ID attempts, I maxed out on the number of five finger scans allowed. I scanned my left thumb three times at slightly different positions on the sensor, and two for the right thumb.

I see no point in having some of the other digits scanned into the iPhone 5S. The required pass code is the Plan B to unlock it on the dash. Any finger can keying in the pass code on the device's virtual keypad.

0 comments: