Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Staff of Faith

At Sunday worship this morning, the choir selection was "The Staff of Faith." As arranged by Craig Courtney, this 1850 setting by Thomas Lynch (1818-1871), blended with another hymnal favorite, "How Firm A Foundation."

The Staff of Faith

My faith, it is an oaken staff,
The traveler’s well loved aid;
My faith, it is a weapon stout,
The soldier’s trusty blade.
I’ll travel on, and still be stirred
By prayerful thought or holy Word;
By all my peril undeterred,
A soldier-pilgrim staid.

I have a guide, and in His steps
When travelers have trod,
If there beneath was flinty rock
Or yielding grassy sod,
They cared not, but with force unspent,
Umoved by pain, they onward went,
Unstayed by pleasures, still they bent
Their zealous course to God.

My faith, it is an oaken staff,
A guide to things unseen!
My faith, it is a trusty sword,
May falsehood find it keen!
Thy Spirit, Lord, to me impart,
O make me what Thou ever art,
Of patient and courageous heart,
As all true saints have been.

How firm a foundation, yet saints of the Lord,
Is laid for your faith in His excellent Word!
To you who for refuge to Jesus have fled!
My faith it is an oaken staff,
The traveler's well-loved aid.

0 comments: