Thursday, March 21, 2013

Those Bygone Halcyon Days

My Dear Mrs. T:

I have to admit I was baffled when I received your email. The first thought flashed through my mind - who was this cousin of mine with a Norwegian surname? Then as the message unfurled before my eyes, only then I realized IT WAS YOU!

Thank you for your condolences for the death of my mother. Paul and your mother attended the funeral service on 2 March; it was they who recognized me. I couldn't even remember Paul was such a tall fellow. Their presence and condolences were much appreciated also.

Those halcyon days in eastern Oregon are fading fast with the passing of time. My only memory of you was on one evening we talked about Twain's "The Adventure of Tom Sawyer." This was at the time you and I stayed at grandfather's home, with me being the more permanent resident. I couldn't recall why you were there, much less what you looked like. You were there for cousin Winnie's wedding? What wedding? Sigh.

Our family circle is contracting. My maternal aunt is the last surviving member of grandfather Allen's side of the relations. Sadly, she has Alzheimer and does not recognize me anymore.

You and Paul are our family historians. Your genealogy research of our collective family tree is an invaluable task and must be preserved. I appreciate of your sharing some highlights of grandfather Allen and his exploits. Two things to which I had wanted answered but not knowing whom to ask. Perhaps you have the answers to: Was Allen in the Marines during World War II? And how did he acquire such beautiful penmanship?

I have been keeping a blog for a number of years. If curiosity gets the better of you, visit my blog at: lenvoi.blogspot.com

0 comments: