Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Song of a Corpse


Moi: What are you mumbling about, Richard (...I sauntered into Special Services looking for some fresh brewed coffee)

Richard: I was singing Laura and making up the words to the tune.

Moi: Don't you know the words to the song? (...You are from the WWII era. How can you not know the songs from the 1940s. Bummer. There will be no coffee this afternoon.)

Richard: Really? There are words to this song? I know the tune but I don't know the words.

Moi: You have seen the 1940's movie, Laura, right? No? Dana Andrews and Gene Tierney. Tierney played Laura. She was murdered. Andrews was the detective aiming to solved the homicide. All he had to go by was the portrait of Laura and her life as told by her friends and associates. (How could he not have seen the movie?)

Richard: You mean this song is about a corpse?

Moi: Well, yes. If you put it that way. Actually, the song was not sung in the movie.

Richard: I have to see the movie. You got me really interested. Thanks for telling me this.

Moi: You'd like the story and acting. A classic noir. Tell me what you think of the movie afterward.

Two days later, I was told he borrowed a video from the library. Richard liked the movie very much; he is going to get a DVD version to keep.

(Ideas and presuppositions have consequences.)

0 comments: