Sunday, January 30, 2005

The Wedding

Father Vito Perrone married Kevin and Nichole yesterday afternoon at the Saint Elizabeth Seton Catholic Church, Pleasanton, CA.

A caveat lector. There won't be any fashion statements and related subjects described in this blog.

The modern cavernous santuary of Saint Elizabeth Seton is well lit with natural light and lacking the artistic heritage traditionally found in the older majestic cathedrals.

The pews faced each other in the worship space. The bride and grooms families and guests seated respectively on one side or the other of the pews. The wedding party and Father Perrone occupied the open area in the middle of the santuary.

The wedding ceremony from the Entrance Processional to the Nuptial Blessing lasted about an hour. The very first hour together for Kevin and Nichole as one on a life time journey of happiness and tears.

For this guest, the definitive moment of a new beginning came after the exchange of vows and when Kevin and Nichole honored their parents. The newlywed couple took roses to the two sets of parents sat facing each other. The bride's parents were the first honored. They murmured and embraced. Then the young couple came to honor the groom's parents. I sat behind the groom's parents on the second row. Nichole's eyes welled with tears as she approached and embraced her parents-in-law. I saw the joyful tears of a new self and sad tears of separation from the old.

On 29 January, 2005, a part of life for Nichole and Kevin closed for ever and a new one began.

Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. -- Matthew 19:6 (KJV)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm contemplating going on a retreat preached by Fr. Perrone. Do you recommend him?

L'envoi said...

I am of the Reformed Theology tradition, and I don't know Fr. Perrone well. My cousins of whom I referred in this post are of the Catholic faith. They have a good opinion of Fr. Perrone.

God's way is not our way. He certainly has a sense of humor. I have more Catholic cousins than that of the Reformed faith. I love them all the same. Besides, I have some treasured Chrisitan writings by great Catholic thinkers.

Today, many youths and young adults growing up attending Christian churches of all denominations are wearing a moralistic (be nice), therapeutic (feel good), and deistic (God is a force for my bidding) garb.

Perhaps by attending Fr. Perrone retreat, you might hear him deliver a sobering address on these trendy yet sadly non-Christian, and certainly non-Biblical based attitudinal attire.

Anonymous said...

Hi Daniel Grimm,

I may be a about 7 months late in reading your post inquiring about Fr, Vito J. Perrone, and I hope with God's wonderful grace and blessings you will find this out,either by me...or maybe you found out first-hand...if you went to the retreat,.....

but in reference as to whether one would recommend Fr. Vito J. Perrone, my answer is a confident YES!

I first became aquainted with Fr. Vito J. Perrone in the year 2005. He is truly a good man with a heart of gold. Fr. Vito J. Perrone is the dearest, most understanding, compassionate and loving Friend in Christ I have ever known. There are two people on earth that I know I can trust and have shown me God's love through their kindness and goodness of their hearts and next to my mom, I have been blessed to meet and know Fr. Vito. In the past when I needed strength and guidance from God, or just a friend to help me through my trials and tribulations, Fr. Vito was there to talk to me.

If you happen to get to go to a retreat with him, which I probably should look into for myself, I with great confidence recommend him. One could tell how much he loves and adores God just by attending a Mass in which he is the priest saying the Mass.

I recently got to hear him say Mass, just this past Sunday, February 28, 2010,...and was touched by God when he spoke, so much that I teared up. Because when Fr. Vito J. Perrone speaks, he speaks with his heart and his spirit.

I hope this message reaches you and others seeking to go on a retreat with Fr. Vito J. Perrone, and/or a calling from God.

Good luck and God bless you.