Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Onset of Tinnitus

A sudden onset of Tinnitus began in the middle of last December. Exams and tests performed on my hearing and auditory systems are all negative. There is nothing medically can be done when there are no definitive underlying causes. The triggering agent for the tinnitus could very well be from a recent bout of sinusitis. I was not aware of any symptoms of infections. At any rate, I noticed some low humming sounds on the right ear which led me to consult my physicians. He diagnosed as blocked Eustachian tube and prescribed antibiotics. Looking back, the humming sounds I heard were a warning indicator the inner ear has been pressured and injured, thereby caused the consequent tinnitus. Few days later, the left ear was affected by the incessant ringing as well.

Given there is no cure per se for this subjective emotionally draining and life-style altering "illness", I am looking at ways to alleviate the incessant ringing in my ears. On a scale of 1 to 10 (worst), I am at 7. Then again, the loudness could fluctuate depending on a number of controllable factors (e.g. diet, exercise, noise reduction). Using Evernote, I am keeping track of anything (e.g. food, beverages, machinery, etc. ) that could either alleviate or worsen the symptom.

At this point, it is all trials and errors in finding ways to manage this health problem. The hardest thing to do, and I am doing it, is to adapt Tinnitus into my life and continue to live a "normal" life. I can never have the old life-style back.

For 2013, this health problem is going to take a lot of my energy and time. Therefore, blogging could be severely affected and curtailed, in what ways I can't say at this point.

I wish your New Year is off to a splendid start; may your daily walk this year be one of maturing and rewarding experience.

0 comments: