Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Bob's Big Band Wedding Reception

Bob came by over the holidays and wanted me to go over a list of Big Band music for his upcoming wedding reception. I was pleasantly surprised he would wish my opinion on the play list he received from a prospective band.

Supposedly, this Big Band leader is a fairly good trumpeter. He has name dropped Harry James. His drummer is very good, too, I was also told. And yet, from what I could tell from the proposed song list, the repertoire of this 15-piece band was only so-so.

Today, I gave Bob 105 Big Band songs culled from my CDs. Included in this CD are some Harry James, Bobby Hackett, Gene Krupa, and Buddy Rich recordings. After listening to these standards, Bob will be knowledgeable. More important, he has the leverage to suggest to this band inclusion of songs he and Mary like for their wedding reception.

0 comments: