Tuesday, April 03, 2007

MS KB925902 - Bad Medicine for Toshiba Notebooks

The new MS Windows patch KB925902 released on 3 April, 2007 is not good for Toshiba Satellite Notebooks running on XP SP2.

After installation the patch on my A105 Series running on XP, I received a system error about User32.dll HHCTRL.OCX was illegally occupying a reserved memory area for Windows.

I had to do a system restore from 26 March, 2007 to rid this buggy patch. After which, I disabled the Windows Update Notify not to remind me to install this patch, notwithstanding the Windows Update history log says it was installed.

4 comments:

Bijoy said...

interesting stuff you have got here keep up the good work.will be bakc soon be in touch
regards Biby - Blog

Anonymous said...

To remove KB925902 select the box for 'Show Updates' in the 'Add or Remove Programs'. This will cause all Windows updates to be displayed so the above fix can be removed.

L'envoi said...

I have been having a tug-of-war with the IT staff on my Win2000 desktop regarding the PDT tz registry update and using cscripting. It is still going on. That's another matter. LOL.

You are right. My mind was still reading Win2000 displays, which it does not have the update display checkbox. Doing the update checkbox and removing the faulty patch was the way to go.

I almost went with the regsvr32 /u hhctrl.ocx, but had decided not to.

Anyway, all are well now on my Tobshiba Satellite. Thanks for the reminder.

L'envoi said...

For MS Fixing the Hotfix KB925902:
MS Hotfix for User32.dll error caused by April 3 Windows Update