Friday, October 28, 2005

If You Could See - Completed Translation

The original text of this song does not lend itself to a literal translation, much less the evincing of the Christian message. Therefore, the translation is centered about the gist of each of the four verses. Moreover, I have taken the nebulous Christian message of this song, which I perceived was the case, and rendered it palpably Christocentric.


If You Could See [若你能看見]
(tr. L'Envoi)


1. If there be azure sky in the light, withal we'd see the argosy of clouds in the nautical sea.

Lest the eyes blind to true sight, thank you, Lord, for thy mercy we see!


2. If there be water lapping on the sand, withal we'd hear the rushing of the curling roar.

Lest the drowsy ears falter to understand, thank you, Lord, on thy bespangled waves we soar!


3. Conscious vanity of our ply, blind to celestial splendors shine and shine.

Till we pant for the transcendent sky, of Christ, His glory yours and mine!


4. Conscious obsequious to our pleasure falls, deaf to emerald seam and gleam.

Till we hear the Voice of Galilee calls, come, drink, I am life giving stream!

2 comments:

史路比 said...

i'm curious to know... how do u translate the song. :p

it's a bit different wordings in the 3rd half and the 4th half, rite?

l'envoi, u're so smart!

L'envoi said...

I am not smart nor one who posesses wisdom. I am just grateful the Lord has been merciful with me; He alone worthy of praise and adoration.

Please see my post on "Dissecting and Translating 'If You Could See'. This subject line or title, however, may be called something else.

If you'd indulge me awhile longer, I will write the post presently.