Sunday, February 20, 2005

Which Church to Go

A collegiate age friend of my is in the process of moving from one state to another and he will be looking for a new church home. He has been told God has a special church for him, and by attending this or that church is wrong. I wrote the following letter to him on 1 February, 2005.

Dear Texas:

Any Christ centered church is okay to attend. Over the years I have lived in several cities: I have attended Baptist, Prebytarian, and Covenant chuches. Because they "felt" right and I had a part in these church.

But let me share with you this thought:

It is not so much what the church can do for you, but what you can do for God and His church.

The great ends of God's church (doesn't matter which denomination) are:

1. to proclaim the gospel for the salvation of mankind
2. to shelter, nurture, and spiritually fellowship with the childrens of God
3. to maintain divine worship
4. to preserve the truth
5. to promote social righteousness, and
6. to exhibit the Kingdom of Heaven to the world

Keep these guidelines in mind as you worship and participate in your church. God does not appoint or demand you and I to attend a "physical" church of this one or that one.

Churches should have small groups or fellowships for different ages. It's important for you to find a college-career fellowship in your church. University town churches have very exciting young adult groups for nurturing, fellowship, and worshiping together...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for reminding me once more as for a while I was was beginning to lose some faith.

Y