Friday, October 29, 2004

Riverside City

I have a colleague who is from the Phillippenes. She has a very friendly disposition and works well with all of us. Whenever the opportunity presents itself, I would teach her some American colloquialism and idoms.

This morning we encountered some technical problems with one of her programs. So I went to see her and prefaced our discussion with the opening, "There is trouble in River City." I proceeded to explain what that phrase meant. While I was still in her office, she decided to test her newly acquired idomatic expression.

She called another colleague about the computer problems and started off by saying, "Pete, there is trouble in Riverside City."

Our agency will switch over to a new generation of law enforcement programs on 31 October. This is a light-hearted notation marking the last frentic working day before the change over. Our friend and colleague will be on-hand that day to oversee the transition.

0 comments: