Saturday, October 30, 2004

A Cactus Does A Bouquet Make

It took me awhile to compose a message to go with the flowers we'd planned to send to Laurie Switzer. The 40 Days of Purpose study on the purpose of 'Fellowship' has hasten the will. Pleased with my short and marginally creative note, I showed it to Irene. With her tacit approval I went to the nearest florist.

The Brothers floral shop on Coffee Road does not deliver flowers on weekends. Not wanting to seek out other florists and holding out high hopes one of them would deliver flowers on this Saturday, my on the spot plan B was to go home and order the flowers via the Internet.

“Why order the flowers through the Internet? We could get her a cactus.” Irene gave me a matter-of-fact look after my less than triumphant return.

Inclined my head, our almost out-of-sight and out-of-mind cacti outside the house loomed in mind. “How would a cactus translate into a bouquet?”

“I don’t see why not. A cactus is still a bouquet.” She retorted.

I humphed and reminded her of the message: The Son shines for trees and flowers for all the world to enjoy. A bouquet of His workmanship for your love and fellowship.”

"We are talking flowers here." I held her gaze.

"Cacti have blooms too." She looked resolute.

Then I pounced on her with the patented challenge in times of literary discord, “Look up bouquet in your Funk and Wagnalls.” (We have no literary references by these authors in our library, by the way)

Pity. She cleverly parried the dare, while not admitting to anything. “I will take care of the flowers for Laurie.” She folded the draft message and put it away.

The better part of valour is discretion. I knew then I'd better leave well enough alone.

0 comments: