Sunday, February 10, 2013

Thou Hast Bid Me Gaze Upon Thee

At today's Sunday worship, the congregation was blessed by hearing the choir rendered a version of the hymn, "Jesus, I Am Resting, Resting." This offertory hymn was accompanied by our resident organist/pianist and guest cellist, Ira Lehn.

A less known Irish poetess and hymn writer Jean Sophia Pigott wrote this hymn. James Mountain, an English pastor, contributed the tune for this wonderfully reflective and tranquil psalm. The hymn was first sung in County Kildare, Ireland, 8 September 1845.


Jesus, I Am Resting, Resting

Jesus, I am resting, resting,
In the joy of what Thou art;
I am finding out the greatness
Of Thy loving heart.

Thou hast bid me gaze upon Thee,
And Thy beauty fills my soul,
For by Thy transforming power,
Thou hast made me whole.

O, how great Thy loving kindness,
Vaster, broader than the sea!
O, how marvelous Thy goodness,
Lavished all on me!
Yes, I rest in Thee, Belovèd,
Know what wealth of grace is Thine,
Know Thy certainty of promise,
And have made it mine.

0 comments: